Monday, August 1, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Black Bean and Lime No-Meatballs

These no-meatballs were bold. I started dreaming about this recipe weeks ago when I began trying to plan the menu for our November wedding. I decided to experiment with making a sauce for the no-meatballs we are planning to serve at our wedding. They turned out perfectly! They could be served as a main course or an appetizer. They are versatile!


They would go splendidly over a bed of yellow saffron rice.


Ingredients:


 1 bag of No Meatballs:
I prefer Nate's Savory Mushroom. Im a fan. Of the mushroom. Love the flavor...and of Nate's GREAT company! They also confirmed they use non-gmo soy!
1 Shallot
1 tbsp Organic chopped garlic
Evoo - enough to coat the pan





Sauce:

1/4 box of organic vegan refried beans
2 tbsp chili seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
1 jar Crofters Black Currant jelly
3 tsp Braggs Amino Acids or tamari
1 bunch of green onions
1/2 mushroom bullion
1/2 cup Coyote Trail salsa









For the 'stock' of the sauce I chopped the bunch of green onions up in a fine mince. I placed the minced onions in just enough water so that they could float around. I turned the water on low and let it simmer until there was a rich aroma and the onions were soft and clear and had created a broth. I added the half of a mushroom bullion to the water and stirred it until it was dissolved. With an immersion blender I pureed the onions. Then I added 1 and a half cups of water and the box of black beans, and the rest of the ingredients. I turned the pot on low and let it simmer until the sauce had grown thick.

While the sauce simmered......

I threw the shallot and the garlic and evoo in a skillet and let the garlic brown and the shallot turn clear. When the pan was prepared with the perfect sizzle I tossed the bag of no-meatballs in and rolled them around until they turned a golden brown.


Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the finished meatballs right now - technical difficulties... but I will try to get them uploaded eventually. Instead... please accept this picture of a satisfied taste tester.








~ note ~ As with all of my recipes any measurement is a guestimate - so please experiment to find your perfect flavor and consistency.

I did play around with the thickness and amount of water in the sauce... so you may want to add the bean mix and add water slowly....... as you want a thick jelly like substance for this sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment